Justice NOEL G. TIJAM
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from San Beda College in 1967, with a degree in Bachelor of Arts, Major in Philosophy and Political Science.
- At the young age of 20, while earning his Bachelor of Laws degree on full scholarship, he was already a lecturer at the Philippine School of Business Administration.
- In 1971, he graduated Cum Laude and Class Salutatorian from the San Beda College of Law. He passed the Bar Examinations of 1971 at age 22.
Previously Held Positions (both in the Government and Private Sectors)
- Became a Legal Consultant at the Philippine Senate representing former Senator Victor Ziga in the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, the Senate Economic Affairs Committee, the Senate Committee on National Defense and Security, the Senate Ways and Means Committee, and the Senate Committee on Ethics and Privileges.
- Served as Assistant Vice President and Deputy Corporate Secretary of the GSIS, and became Legal Counsel and Corporate Secretary of the Manila Hotel Corporation and the Westin Philippine Plaza, and a Board Director of Comsavings Bank.
- In 1994, he was appointed Presiding Judge of the RTC of Quezon City, Branch 221.
- Served as President of the Quezon City RTC Judges Association.
- In 2003, he was promoted to the Court of Appeals where he is presently the Chairman of the EIGHTH DIVISION.
- Handled litigation cases from 1972 to 1993 involving workmen’s compensation claims, criminal cases and civil cases, more specifically on torts and damages, and maritime cases in various trial courts.
- Also handled cases before the court martial courts, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Labor and Employment, the National Labor Relations Commission, the Commission on Elections and other quasi-judicial agencies.
Awards and Nominations
- He was a finalist in the most outstanding Regional Trial Court Judges Award in 1999 given by the Foundation for Judicial Excellence.
- He was a recipient of the Most Outstanding JAYCEE Award from the Philippine Jaycees, and of the 1997 Junior Chamber International Senatorship Award.
- On October 20, 2007 he was given by the JCI Senate Philippines, a Golden Award as Most Outstanding JCI Senator in the Philippines in the Field of Law.
- Received the Distinguished Bedan Award (Law) given by the San Beda College Alumni Association, Inc. at the NBC Tent, Fort Bonifacio, Global City on February 18, 2010.
Affiliations, Seminars/ Conferences/ Conventions attended, and Speaking Engagements
- Quite recently, he was designated Chairperson-editor of the Court of Appeals Journal while serving, at the same time, as member of the Committee on Rules which studied the amendments to and revisions of the Internal Rules of the Court of Appeals (IRCA).
- Represented the Court of Appeals at the World Jurist Conference on economic development, alternative dispute resolution and democracy-building, in Kiev, Ukraine, in September 2004.
- He was one of the 12 Justices of the Court of Appeals invited to participate last July 2007 National Consultative Summit on Extrajudicial Killings and Enforced Disappearances convened by the Supreme Court. He presented the report of Group 5 in the plenary session.
- Legal Ethics examiner in the 2009 Bar Examination conducted by the Supreme Court of the Philippines.
- For his known skill and zeal as an effective and competent speaker, he has been consistently invited to speak on various topics by a number of organizations and associations.
- He was the Resource Speaker in the symposium, entitled “Excellence In Public Service” conducted by the Energy Regulatory Board (ERC) on November 23, 2009, held at Pacific Center Building, San Miguel Ave., Pasig City; and
- He was also the Guest of Honor and Speaker during the 46th Anniversary Celebration of the Printing Industries Association of the Philippines, Inc., held at the Century Park Hotel on December 17, 2009.
- He was chosen as a Reactor on the topic “Simplifying and Improving the Litrigation Process” during the 13th IBP Convention of Lawyers held in Subic, Zambales, on April 7-9, 2011.
- In July 2010, he became a member of the Corps of Professors of the College of Law at the De La Salle Lipa City.
- He was one of the 8 Justices of the Court of Appeals designated to act as group facilitators on the Supreme Court sponsored Forum on Increasing Access to Justice last July 1, 2008 to benefit the poor, cultural minorities and marginalized sectors.
- He was the Chairman of the Panel of Assessors for candidates for a Doctor of Philosophy (Phd.) on Legal Education at the Cagayan State University, in collaboration with the San Beda School of Law, on April 6, 2010.
- On October 7, 2010, he was among the selected Court of Appeals Justices who attended the PHILJA-sponsored Roundtable Discussion on Court Leadership: Judicial Reform and Improving Judicial Administration held at the Makati Shangrila.
- He was one of the selected Court of Appeals Justices who attended the Roundtable Discussion on Combating Human Trafficking in the Philippines held at the Century Park Hotel on September 22, 2011.
- He was chosen by the Supreme Court, DOJ and the DILG as Master of Ceremonies in the concluded 2011 Anti- Illegal Drugs Forum held at the PICC on November 14, 2011 which was attended by different stakeholders in the justice sector.
- Represented the Court of Appeals in the 1st National Criminal Justice Summit held at the Manila Hotel on December 5 & 6, 2011 attended by the judiciary, executive and legislative branch of government.
- Recently, he was chosen as Chairman of the Panel of Judges of the Higher Rounds of the 2012 San Beda Public International Law Moot Court Competition held on March 3, 2012, San Beda College Manila.
Professorial Lecturer II at the Philippine Judicial Academy, Supreme Court, assigned to the Remedial Law Department. He lectures on the subjects Pre-trial and Trial Skills, Searches & Seizures, Legal Ethics, Oral Advocacy, Legal Writing and Remedial Law, in various seminars organized by the Philippine Judicial Academy (PHILJA), the U.P. Law Center, the Integrated Bar of the Philippines and several law firms under their Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Program (MCLE). Some of the lectures he has conducted are the following:
- Updates in Remedial Law – lecture given on September 20, 2008 at the Club Filipino Greenhills, Quezon City, as part of the MCLE given by the San Beda College.
- Cases on Litigation Ethics – lecture given on June 21, 2008 at the AIM Conference Center Manila, Makati City, in the ROMULO MABANTA BUENAVENTURA SAYOC & DE LOS ANGELES MCLE Litigation Seminar.
- Rules/Jurisprudencee on Search &Seizure and Updates in Remedial Law -lecture given on June 5-6, 2008 at Legenda Hotel, El Centro Subic Bay, Olongapo City, during the Regional Convention and Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Seminar of the IBP Central Luzon Chapter.
- Code of Professional Responsibility” and Effective Oral Corporate Advocate – lecture given on February 22-23, 2008 at the Regent Hotel, Elias St., Naga City, as part of the MCLE given by the IBP Bicolandia Region/Camarines Sur Chapter.
- Pre-Trial – lecture given on February 13, 2008 by PHILJA on the 51st Orientation Seminar-Workshop for Newly Appointed Judges held at PHILJA Development Center, Tagaytay City.
- Rules on Search & Seizure - lecture given on January 11, 2008 by the Philja in partnershjip with the City Government of Marikina City during the seminar workshop on Dangerous Drugs Law for Marikina Stakeholders.
- Legal Writing; Oral Advocacy – lecture given on August 22, 2007 as part of the MCLE given by Aeigis Executive Center, Inc. held at the Manila Polo Club.
- Search & Seizure – lecture given on August 10, 2007 by PHILJA on the Orientation Seminar-Workshop for newly appointed Judges held at PHILJA Development Center, Tagaytay City.
- Pre-Trial - lecture given on July 24, 2007 by PHILJA on the Orientation Seminar-Workshop for Newly Appointed Judges held at PHILJA Development Center, Tagaytay City.
- Legal Advantage; Legal Writing – lecture given on July 6, 2007 as part of the MCLE given by SASSI.
- Pre-Trial – lecture given on June 26, 2007 by PHILJA on the Orientation Seminar-Workshop for Newly Appointed Judges at PHILJA Development Center, Tagaytay City.
- Search & Seizure – lecture given on June 15, 2007 by PHILJA held in Iloilo City.
- Legal Advantage; Legal Ethics – lecture given on May 31, 2007 held at Ayala Tower as part of the MCLE given by SASSI.
- Legal Advantage; Remedial Law – lecture given on May 24, 2007, as part of the MCLE given by SASSI.
- Pre-trial – lecture given on May 19, 2007 as part of the MCLE given by Chan Robles LawNet, Inc.
- Pre-trial – lecture given on May 5, 2007, by PHILJA held in Iloilo City.
- Pre Trial – lecture given on May 8, 2007 by PHILJA.
- Search & Seizure – lecture given on April 27, 2007 by PHILJA on the Orientation Seminar-Workshop for Newly Appointed Judges at PHILJA Development Center, Tagaytay City.
- Legal Ethics – lecture given on April 20, 2007 as part of the MCLE given by the IBP-Batangas.
- Trial & Pre-Trial -lecture given on April 12-13, 2007 in Cebu City as part of the MCLE given by SASSI.
- Legal Writing; Oral Advocacy with Emphasis in Appellate Practice; and Updates in Legal Ethics (Criminal and Civil Liabilities of Lawyers) – lecture given on February 16-19, 2007 held at the Holiday Inn Hotel, So. San Francisco, California, USA, as part of the MCLE sponsored by the IBP-California Chapter.
- Remedial Law – lecture given on February 3, 2007 as part of the MCLE given by the SASSI.
- Pre-Trial – lecture given on February 3, 2007 as part of the MCLE given by the Chan Robles Law Offices.
- Pre-Trial – lecture given on January 26-27, 2007 as part of the MCLE given by the Romulo Mabanta Law Offices.
- Pre-Trial - Dialogue conducted between the Metropolitan Trial Court and Regional Trial Court Judges, Prosecutors and Clerks of Courts sponsored by the Philippine Judicial Academy on November 10, 2006 held at the Heritage Hotel.